Monday, March 28, 2011

Luke does a good job with photojournalism


You may have noticed the credit on last week's photo of the vandalism at the Kuna Cemetery as being "Luke McIntosh." The photo was taken by my son, Luke, who turns 9 in a couple of weeks. On the day that I went out to cover the story, Nicola had a meeting with an advertiser, and I had to go home to meet Luke after school. When he got home, I said, "Come on, we have to go out to a breaking news story and you're going to be my photographer." I could sense Luke's suppressed excitement as we headed out the door. When we got to the cemetery and met with Marie Beatty and Efren Garcia, Luke got to clicking away. Just like his dad, he took well over 100 photos. Marie told me that the two people responsible for the vandalism were a 12-year-old and a 13-year-old, not much older than Luke. It served as an interesting juxtaposition.
This isn't the first time Luke's taken photos for the paper. He took photos of the Kuna FFA auction a couple of years back and he took a great photo of then-Rep. Walt Minnick visiting SPI Transportation in Kuna.
No pressure, but Luke sure has a talent for it and enjoys it.

No comments: