Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Downtown is the key to Kuna's future

This week’s column is going to be about downtown Kuna. Don’t roll your eyes at me. I’m going to keep writing about it until the city does something about it, or at least until they convince me why they shouldn’t do anything about it.
I’ve stated my case on the importance of downtown and why I think the city needs to take the lead on it.
For those of you who continue to argue that downtown is just fine the way it is, I’m not buying it. You can make an argument that taxpayer dollars shouldn’t be used, and I’ll respect that. But, please, don’t try to argue that downtown is just fine the way it is. It’s not, and I’m sorry if someone gets offended or hurt by that, but I’m not backing down from that pretty obvious observation.
For downtown to succeed, you need to attract people to come downtown. You have to offer a unique experience.
Let us embrace change and welcome new businesses and foster growth. Let us encourage chain stores and restaurants and service businesses. But now is also the right time to kickstart downtown revitalization.
We have come to a fork in the road. Both paths, in my opinion, lead to development of chain stores and restaurants and big-box stores in Kuna. That part is inevitable, in my view.
But one path ends with a derelict downtown and a reputation as a dump of a city. The other path, though, leads to a revitalized and vibrant downtown and ends with a reputation as a strong and beautiful city.
Which path do we want to go down?

No comments: