Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Life lesson for my boys: Do what you love

Dear Robert and Luke,
It is important that you find what you love to do in life and then do it. Unfortunately, I have found that too many people know what they love to do but they choose a career path that is different from what they love. The other unfortunate thing I have witnessed is that some people have no idea what makes them happy or what kind of career they would like to have. I consider myself incredibly fortunate to have learned very early in life what I wanted to do and then I did it.
When I was in second grade, the only thing I asked for at Christmas was a typewriter. I’ve always had a love of writing. By the time I was in sixth grade, I took a career aptitude test that informed me I should look into the field of journalism. Journalism. My goodness. Just the word, “journalism,” smacked of importance and prestige. Sign me up.
When I was in junior high, I helped start our junior high newspaper, and when I was a junior in high school, I was the editor of my school paper, “The Clinton Signal.”
Around that time, my dad and I had been going around to several colleges to decide which one I wanted to attend. In my sophomore and junior years of high school, we must have visited a dozen or more colleges — Northeastern, St. Bonaventure, UMass, Syracuse University, Pace University.
It was on our visit to Pace, a quaint campus just north of New York City, that I had an important life lesson.
Read the rest in my Editor's Notebook in this week's Kuna Melba News.

No comments: